Classes are structured to encourage students of all skill levels, beginner as well as intermediate adult dancers. No previous dance experience is required! Dancers work on skill- and strength-building exercises, ceili dances, as well as soft and hard shoe step dancing.
Held every first Tuesday of the month
$15 per person
This class will teach the social dances of Ireland. Ceili and set dances are fun to do and easy to learn. There is minimal footwork required, and you can learn and perform dances from your very first lesson. Fun for all ages and dance levels.
Which dances we do will depend on the number of dancers in attendance. Ceili and set dances can range from just four people up to 32 or more, but most typically require six to eight dancers.
On the first Tuesday of each month, there are NO regular adults’ classes. Both Adults 1 and Adults 2 are replaced by the Ceili & Set class. The sean nos class will still be taught as usual.
Tuesdays (except first Tuesdays)
$10 per person per class
This class is focused on Irish dance technique and is intended for adults with little to no Irish dance experience. It may also serve as an extended warmup and conditioning session for more advanced dancers. Dancers will perform skill- and strength-building exercises, and learn ceili dances and beginner-level steps.
Basic movement steps: 2-3s, skip forward 2-3s, skip back 2-3s, sevens and threes, over 2-3s
Simple ceili dances like the Walls of Limerick, Galway Reel, and Fairy Reel
Beginner-level solo steps in the reel and jig (soft shoe only)
Choreography at the appropriate level for St. Patrick’s Day and other performances
Dancers in the Adults 1 class are welcome and encouraged to participate in performances whenever they feel ready.
**The Adults 1 and Adults 2 classes will NOT be held on the first Tuesday of every month. They are replaced by the Ceili and Set dancing class for that first Tuesday only.**
Tuesdays (except first Tuesdays)
$20 per person per class
This class is geared toward adult dancers, and is a multi-level class for intermediate and advanced dancers. The focus is on contemporary step dancing, with traditional set dances and ceili dances included as well. The class is open to students 12 years of age and up. Dancers under age 18 please bring a parent or guardian.
- All basic movements: skip forward 2-3s, skip back 2-3s, sevens and threes, over 2-3s, beat 2-3s
- Some advanced movements: rocks, twists, butterflies, quivers, birdies, clicks, drums, rolls
- Solo steps appropriate to the dancer’s level in reel (soft & hard), jig (soft and hard), slip jig, hornpipe
- Traditional set dances: St. Patrick’s Day, Blackbird, Garden of Daisies, etc.
- Ceili and set dances of all levels
- Choreography for performances at St. Patrick’s Day and year-roundDancers in the Adults 2 class perform frequently in pubs and at various venues and private events.**The Adults 1 and Adults 2 classes will NOT be held on the first Tuesday of every month. They are replaced by the Ceili and Set dancing class for that first Tuesday only.**
Please wear comfortable, non-restricting workout clothing. There is no required uniform for class, but you should be able to move and sweat. Do not wear heavy or dangling accessories that could get caught on someone’s clothing or hair. Please tie long hair back neatly.
New students should wear sneakers or other supportive shoes. Those who have them should bring dance sneakers or leather dance shoes such as jazz shoes or ballet slippers. Irish ghillies and jig shoes are of course welcome and encouraged.
- You may want to bring a notebook to write down what you learn.
- Water is available at the bar, but you may wish to bring your own water bottle as well.
- The room is air-conditioned, but you may want a towel.
- Tie for hair
- Don’t forget socks!
Location: Anna O′Briens
Classes are held on the second floor of Anna O’Brien’s pub, at 2440 South Beretania Street, Honolulu, HI 96826. The pub is located next to the Japanese Cultural Center, across the street from the Moiliili Neighborhood Park.
There is a very small parking lot at the pub, and street parking can be found all around the block. Parking is also available at the lot behind Teddy’s Bigger Burgers, on the corner of Beretania and Isenberg. Please do not park in the lot immediately next to the pub – it looks abandoned, but they will tow.
When: Every Tuesday
Ceili Dancing 5:00pm-6:45pm (First Tuesday of Month)
Adults 1 5:00pm-6:45pm (Except First Tuesday of Month)
Adults 2 6:00pm-8:00pm (Except First Tuesday of Month)